Re: Cygwin instabilities

Al <oss.elmar@googlemail.com> was heard to say:

I am not asking this to debug my own setup. I am rather ask for an
overall estimation of Cygwins current and future usability and
stability.

These two things are related. Remember that Cygwin is an open source project, and that it does not employ dozens of developers with the abstract task of increasing usability or stability. Both are increased by either debugging or at least properly reporting bugs. If you experience stability problems on your setup, then reporting this in all necessary detail is a sure step to increase future usability and stability.

It not, how to tweak Cygwin to run on some machines. It's, how big is
the percentage of windows machines, that will run a stable Cygwin with
the standard setup.exe setup.

Who would keep counters of stable or instable setups? These number are exceptionally hard to come by. Even if this list is now flooded with "my setup works" and "mine too" posts, these numbers would not be representative. Users may have given up on Cygwin due to instabilities without notifying the list. Others may run Cygwin so happily they never think about joining the list. All you could do is to scan the Cygwin archives for "instabilities" (this is your term and arguably far too unspecific) and compare it to the number of instabilities reported for any run-of-the mill Linux in the same timeframe.

Just my 2cc

Markus

P.S. mine works

--