Re: Cygwin instabilities

On 9/13/10, Markus Hoenicka <markus.hoenicka xxx.duh> wrote:
> Al <oss.elmar@xxx.xxx> was heard to say:
>
>> I am not asking this to debug my own setup. I am rather ask for an
>> overall estimation of Cygwins current and future usability and
>> stability.
>>

> These two things are related. Remember that Cygwin is an open source
> project, and that it does not employ dozens of developers with the
> abstract task of increasing usability or stability. Both are increased
> by either debugging or at least properly reporting bugs. If you
> experience stability problems on your setup, then reporting this in
> all necessary detail is a sure step to increase future usability and
> stability.
>
>> It not, how to tweak Cygwin to run on some machines. It's, how big is
>> the percentage of windows machines, that will run a stable Cygwin with
>> the standard setup.exe setup.
>
> Who would keep counters of stable or instable setups? These number are
> exceptionally hard to come by. Even if this list is now flooded with
> "my setup works" and "mine too" posts, these numbers would not be
> representative. Users may have given up on Cygwin due to instabilities
> without notifying the list. Others may run Cygwin so happily they
> never think about joining the list. All you could do is to scan the
> Cygwin archives for "instabilities" (this is your term and arguably
> far too unspecific) and compare it to the number of instabilities
> reported for any run-of-the mill Linux in the same timeframe.

I would mention in response to earlier question that I'm quite happy with cygwin
on 'doze 7. I routinely build and test mobile phone apps here as well
as miscellaneous script based downloads and everything seems fine.
The performance issues I reported are fine compared to any 'doze alternatives
and so far most of what I have developed under cygwin runs under real linux.
And it is a good way to learn linux too LOL.

btw, is is possible to do something like the new iproute2 stuff in dohs?