Re: Transfer of installation settings

On 9/17/2010 1:07 PM, David Sastre wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 08:02:23PM +0200, Milos Puchta wrote:
>> I have installation of Cygwin that I want to transfer
>> on another computer with Windows 7 operating system
>> on both computers (editions are the same).
>> I would not like to do it item by item.
>> In my understanding
>> setup -P {list of packages}
>> would help, if I have this list....But how to take
>> list of packages from the first computer?
>
> cygcheck -c | awk '{print $1}'
>
>> Is there any simple method, how to transfer onstallation
>> settings?
>
> I don't quite understand what you mean here.

Most Cygwin configuration information goes into /etc, so if you have
replicated the package installation, you can probably just copy the
contents of /etc to the new system for the most part, replacing any
existing files.  You probably need to skip the /etc/postinstall,
/etc/preremove, and /etc/setup directories though since those have
information regarding the setup process you just ran.  You may also want
to skip /etc/passwd and /etc/group and just regenerate them in place on
the new system in case there are important differences for some reason.

Other items such as services you have configured (e.g. sshd) will be
easiest to replicate by running their setup/config scripts again as you
did on the original computer.  In case you don't remember what Cygwin
services you have installed, you should be able to list Cygwin services
by running the following:

cygrunsrv -L

-Jeremy