Re: mintty window won't open

On 2010-09-29 07:51 , Andy Koppe wrote:
On 28 September 2010 14:38, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 28/09/2010 13:18, Andy Koppe wrote:
On 28 September 2010 11:31, Ryan Johnson wrote:
I switched from rxvt to mintty yesterday, and it worked great all day.
However, today when I try to open a new mintty window from within an
existing one, nothing happens. The process starts, but no window
appears. This happens when attempting to open both 0.8.3 and 0.9b2
windows from a 0.9b2 window. The broken window also does the same thing
to tkdiff but is able to run xterm without problems.

Oddly, using the shortcut from the start menu (0.8.3) still works, and
any windows I fire up from it (including 0.9b2) work fine after that and
can in turn fire up their own new instances.
I found the problem: the terminal was running an ssh session to
localhost.
Ah yes, that would do it.
I think you can detect this situation (no access to the interactive desktop
or whatever is it called), if you wished to issue a suitable error message,
by checking that OpenInputDesktop() returns non-NULL...
Good idea, and that does seem to do the job.

Opening a window in that situation seems to work fine anyway though. I
guess it goes to some hidden desktop. Can anyone think of a sensible
use case for that, i.e. should I make this a warning rather than an
error?

Andy

I have a feeling it could be useful someway. Why not a command switch: --allow_null_desktop or something?