Re: Slowdown after update on Win32 (XP Home)

On 10/1/2010 8:08 PM, Michael Ludwig wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) schrieb am 30.09.2010 um 20:38 (-0400):
On 9/30/2010 7:19 PM, Michael Ludwig wrote:
I'm seeing a painfully noticeable slowdown on my system. I must have
contracted this slowdown last week. My Cygwin is up to date as of
now, October 1st, 01:00 CET

Starting a MinTTY (or rxvt, for that matter) from the icon I've
placed in the start menu does not take the usual two or three
seconds, but may take as much as a whole minute. During this startup
attempt phase, I can see various bash processes with different PIDs
bubbling to the top in taskmgr. I've seen up to three of them at the
same time when my MinTTY was trying to start as the first Cygwin
process, so there should have been no other bash processes around.

This is Win32, XP Home SP3.

Could you provide the information requested by the problem reporting
guidelines:<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

Attached.

My WAG is you're suffering from changes in the new version of
bash_completion.  If you don't use this, uninstall it.

Would bash completion account for several simultaneous bash processes on login as described? Anyway, I uninstalled it, and the problem persists.

OK. I see it points out ZoneAlarm. That's worth uninstalling and trying again. You should also look at virus and other security software you have installed. Uninstall them 1 by 1 to see if you can pinpoint the problem.

Holliston, MA 01746