Re: How to know if the x11 display uses 24-bit RGB color or instead uses a color palette with a fixed number of colors

On 11/10/2010 14:07, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Am 11.10.2010 09:41, schrieb Csaba Raduly:
On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Am 08.10.2010 04:50, schrieb Mark Geisert:
For a while now the X components have been unbundled and can be installed
separately, mostly.
I wonder why they were unbundled. It has been suggested here before that it
would be useful to bundle the typical tiny X tools with the default X
installation, just to avoid such trouble.

They are 'unbundled', because that's the way upstream X.Org provides them since X11 Release 7.0.

It's really so much nicer to deal with modular X than the monolith containing everything.

Because not everybody has the same needs. Before the unbundling, I had
to install the entirety of X just to be able to run makedepend;
several megabytes of unused stuff just for a single, 23k executable.
I understand. But here we speak of the opposite situation. A number of tools
(10, 20?) most of which are only a few K. By installing ~1MB total many users
looking for standard tools would not have to search or ask.

The problem here is that everyone has a different idea about what the 'standard' tools to install are, namely 'those tools that I use' :-)

Nevertheless, if you can provide a list, and some evidence as to why this list is correct (for example: these tools are installed by default on all linux distros, so the user has a reasonable expectation of them being installed), it might happen.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer