Re: Bash problems, strace, performance, etc.

On 10/22/2010 2:47 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 10/22/2010 03:41 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> It gets loaded by /etc/profile.d/bash_completion.sh, which is sourced
>>> by /etc/profile.
>>
>> I wonder if this was a packaging bug in bash-completion. Eric's
>> announcement
>> (http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2010-06/msg00061.html) said
>> the following:
>>
>> You MUST edit your bash startup files to load bash-completion into
>> memory:
>
> Hmm - maybe this is a case of a copy and paste bug on my part.
> Certainly, before bash-completion 1.0, you had to manually enable
> things.  But it looks like 1.0 and later (first cygwin build in Apr
> 2009) inherit the upstream default of automatic enabling.
>
> I'll have to revisit that next time I package bash-completion, and
> either fix the release notes to match reality, or alter the packaging to
> restore the manual enabling (but note that other distros like Fedora do
> automatic enabling if you install the package, so that's the direction
> I'm leaning in).

If you do decide to leave in the automatic enabling, it might be worth
mentioning in the release email that users from the pre-1.0 era should
remove the manual loading. My bash startup times doubled when I upgraded
to 1.0 because I was enabling twice and it took me a little while to
figure out why.

Famous quotations:
        " "
                -- Charlie Chaplin