Re: R: Emacs silence

On 10/31/2010 1:46 PM, Nigel Hardy wrote:
Thank you Eliot for the mail attachment suggestion. I attach the output
here.
Thank you Ken for the "cygcheck /usr/bin/emacs-X11.exe" suggestion - the
output seems good to me and is attached. Starting from mintty did not work.

     bash-3.2$ echo $DISPLAY
     127.0.0.1:0.0
     bash-3.2$ emacs
     bash-3.2$ emacs-X11.exe
     bash-3.2$ cygcheck -s -v -r>  cygcheck.out
     bash-3.2$ cygcheck /usr/bin/emacs-X11.exe>  cygcheck_emacs.out

I have also tried running the Xming server in place of Cygwin/X. This
displays "xterm" ok. but emacs-X11.exe fails silently in the same way.

[Please don't top-post.]

Your output from cygcheck /usr/bin/emacs-X11.exe is different from mine. I get C:\cygwin\bin\cyggthread-2.0-0.dll right below C:\cygwin\bin\cyggobject-2.0-0.dll. Did you by any chance edit the output and accidentally delete that line? Otherwise, I don't understand why there's a difference.

Also, your cygcheck.out shows that you still have some remnants of an obsolete X server on your system. For example, you have /usr/X11R6/bin in your path, and you have the following obsolete packages installed:

xorg-x11-base                   7.4-1
xorg-x11-bin                    7.4-1
xorg-x11-bin-dlls               7.4-1
xorg-x11-bin-lndir              7.4-1
xorg-x11-etc                    7.4-1
xorg-x11-fenc                   7.4-1
xorg-x11-fnts                   7.4-1
xorg-x11-libs-data              7.4-1
xorg-x11-xwin                   7.4-1

I don't know whether that's your problem or not, but you should uninstall them and get rid of /usr/X11R6/bin. Also, you haven't said how you're starting the X server. Are you by any chance using the obsolete startxwin.bat?

Ken