Installing bash-completion package slows down bash startup 20-30x

Apologies if this is a duplicate, I never saw it appear on the list.

After installing bash-completion, bash startup goes from about 1/2 ?second to 10-15 seconds.? During this time, the bash process (as viewed in Process Explorer) consumes almost no CPU time, but the System process (PID 4) is pegged at 100% on one core.? As soon as bash finishes starting up PID4 cpu time goes to zero.? This is highly repeatable on my system:

Win7Pro X64
Intel i7-920
12GB memory

I removed bash-completion and bash startup time went back to the usual 1/2 second.