Re: Win 7 sshd help

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 15:17, Kirby Bakken <bakkenkl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Help.
>
> I recently installed cygwin w/sshd packages on my Win7 pro PC. ÂI've gotten
> ssh to work both with localhost, and with the LAN IP address.
>
> However, trying to ssh from 'outside' my router doesn't work. ÂI CAN ssh to
> my linux box. ÂThen I change the port-forward in the router to my Win7 box,
> and I got 'permission denied' after the password prompt. ÂAfter much
> fiddling, the /etc/host.allow/deny files have somewhere along the line
> disappeared. ÂNow, I get a timeout...
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) are the host.allow and deny files required?

hosts.allow and hosts.deny only work if you compiled using tcp_wrappers

> 2) are there any known problems with sshd running on Win7?

I use SSHd on several Windows 7 machines (when I'm not on my native
OpenBSD laptop)

> Before I 'munged' my installation and the allow/deny files diisappeared, I
> had tried su and login, and got permission denied errors....
>
> I've un-installed sshd and re-installed it several times....
>
> The /var/log/sshd.log file is oddly empty... ÂTrying to run /usr/sbin/sshd
> Âand not as a service hasn't worked.
>
> Ideas? ÂSuggestions?
>
> Kirby

Disable your windows 7 firewall, or make it so that it passes port 22.
 If you are remote, make sure your ISP isn't blocking port 22 inbound
to your router.  I had an ISP that blocked a lot of ports below 1024.