Re: unable to type command into Cygwin after running 'tail'

Hello,

* On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 12:51:22PM -0600 Thrall, Bryan wrote:
> Charles Wilson wrote on 2010-12-02:

> >> I'm sorry, I can't. I don't know why it is happening. I just know how
> >> to recover from it as a user.
> >
> > I've noticed that this misbehavior occurs more frequently these days:
> > ctrl-c'ing some tasks (tail, less, maybe a few others) ends up with the

I can totally second that behaviour.

> I've seen it ctrl-c'ing to get out of a tail in an xterm, so it isn't specific to mintty.

I do not use mintty (yet?), so it is not specific to it. I have seen it
when connecting remotely via ssh (for example, putty to localhost), as
well as when using the "prepared" cygwin.bat file to get cygwin in a
Windows console.

For me, it first happened when I moved from Cygwin 1.5 to 1.7. Note that
I was not one of the early adaptors, though, thus, I cannot say if this
was present in 1.7.1 from the beginning.

One thing I noticed:

Sometimes, when this happens, you have to wait some minutes. Afterwards,
the behaviour fixes itself.

I feel this is strange. Is it occurs to me very often I thought about a
local problem on my side, that's why I did not report it yet.

> > terminal settings all scrogged up, and requires you to "blindly" type in
> > 'reset' (or stty sane) to fix it.

Yes, I can second this, too: You still can type and execute commands,
you just cannot see what you are typing.

Best regards,
   Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis                              http://opencbm.sf.net/