Re: skipping initial setup screens for existing installation with setup.exe?

On 12/7/2010 2:03 PM, Steven Lefevre wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Jeremy Bopp <jeremy@bopp.net> wrote:
>
>> Run setup.exe --help for a full list of command line options.  The
>> option you want is -M.
>>

> Hello Jeremy -
>
> Thanks for your help :)
>
> I had tried the -M option, but got no window. Perhaps there's another
> problem that's causing my symptoms.

You should see a window, so that's odd.

> I'm using Windows Vista. I have a shortcut on the desktop that
> launches setup.exe. I've tried both the -M and --help switches, with
> and without 'Run As Administrator' checked, but I get no window.
> However, the shortcut works ( the window appears with the initial
> screen) when I remove the switches.
>
> I also tried the switches in cmd, both as and not as Administrator,
> also with no windows appearing. But again, the setup window launches
> okay when I use no switches.

I wish I could help more, but I don't have a Vista installation on which
to try this.  It *should* work though.  The setup maintainer should be
able to give you more detailed pointers once he sees the thread.

Something to look for are the log files setup creates when running:

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.setup-fails

Perhaps those logs have useful information.

> Also I had noticed that the -M switch is not listed in the FAQ
> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.cli

Good catch.  I'm not sure of the exact procedure, but I believe that a
patch with the updated information would be accepted.

-Jeremy