Re: Problem installing packages

On 12/11/2010 10:26 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> According to http://www.cygwin.com/, "Run setup.exe any time you want
> to update or install a Cygwin package. ":
>
> jeffrey@descartes ~
> $ setup.exe
>
> Result is a message box that states "Please go to the Control Panel to
> install and configure system components."
>
> Navigate to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. Cygwin is *not* listed.
>
> I'm obviously doing something wrong. Any ideas where my ability (or
> lack of) to follow instructions failed?

It sounds like something other than Cygwin's setup.exe is being run.
You seem to be attempting to run setup.exe from within bash, and if so,
the current working directory (where you likely have Cygwin's setup.exe)
is not a part of your PATH.  That means that you need to invoke
setup.exe as ./setup.exe.

Keep in mind that you should usually avoid running setup.exe while
Cygwin processes (such as bash) are running.  If setup updates a package
whose files are in use, you'll be forced to reboot in order to complete
the setup process, and it's possible that you'll have a rather broken
Cygwin installation until you do so.

-Jeremy