Re: drand48() (and erand48) returns only zeros and pthread application problems

About drand48() (and erand48) returns only zeros and pthread
application problems, I send this mail to both cygwin and newlib
mailist.

I have compared Cygwin with FreeBSD function implementation:

  =>  In Cygwin newlib, srand48 and drand48 use "__rand48_seed" and
"__rand48_mult" that are defined as:
                          #define __rand48_seed	_REENT_RAND48_SEED(r)
                          #define __rand48_mult	_REENT_RAND48_MULT(r)
                          #define _REENT_RAND48_SEED(ptr)	((ptr)->_r48->_seed)
                          #define _REENT_RAND48_MULT(ptr)	((ptr)->_r48->_mult)

            where "r" has "_REENT" value, defined as    # define
_REENT (__getreent()) that is a pointer to thread data

      so, in cygwin srand48 and drand48 uses __getreent()->_r48->_seed
  and __getreent()->_r48->_multi  that are thread local variables.

  =>  In FreeBSD libc, last version, srand48 and drand48 use
"_rand48_seed" and "_rand48_mult" that are defined as a global
variable:

            http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/lib/libc/gen/
            http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/lib/libc/gen/_rand48.c

                 unsigned short _rand48_seed[3] = {
                         RAND48_SEED_0,
                         RAND48_SEED_1,
                         RAND48_SEED_2
                 };
                 unsigned short _rand48_mult[3] = {
                         RAND48_MULT_0,
                         RAND48_MULT_1,
                         RAND48_MULT_2
                 };

  =>  As Christopher Faylor said in his mail, I think the solution
would be to modify newlib implementation (files: drand48.c  erand48.c
jrand48.c  lcong48.c  lrand48.c  mrand48.c  nrand48.c  rand48.c
rand48.h  seed48.c  srand48.c) and adapt freebsd last version, using
global variables for seed, mult and rest internal srand48/drand48
variables.

  => This modifications will solve the two problems: lack of seed
initialization and pthread drand48 problems.