"This application has failed to start because cyggcc_s-1.dll was not found" error

Hello,

I'm running on Windows 32 XP. Not by choice. :)

I receive the following error after installing Cygwin 1.7.7, and from
invoking Cygwin from the desktop shortcut:

Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to start because cyggcc_s-1.dll was not
found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, as well as completely
uninstalling using directions from here:
http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all

I used to have a previous version of Cygwin. Sorry, I can't recall
what version number that was. It was about 2-4 years in age, I think.

Any hints on how I can fix the problem?