Re: Problems with Cygwin-1.7.8 (or snapshot) and TeXLive 2010

On Mar  3 22:23, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >What about some helpful details which allow to reproduce your problem?
> >Like, say, how to get the packages, how you install them, stuff like
> >that.  You seem to imply that everybody knows how to do that.  I don't.
>
> Sorry, I have omitted details because TL2010 is a full distribution
> of LaTeX. Anyway, just for completeness..
>
> Usually TL2010 can be installed via the WEB (*), but I maintain a
> local repository:
>
> rsync -avz --delete --exclude=*mactex* tug.org::texlive/tlnet/ ./tlnet_repo
>
> (tlnet_repo is about 1.7G). When one has the repository, it is
> simple to install (Cygwin is officially supported). As 'root' I do:
>
> ./tlnet_repo/install-tl
>
> (it is a Perl script).
>
> Here, usually I choose to change the installation directory from
> /usr/local/texlive/2010 to /usr/local/texlive:
>
> hit 'd', then '1', then type /usr/local/texlive, then 'r', then 'i'
>
> This starts the installation ('i' == install). After 30-45 minutes
> (on AMD Athlon X2, Win XP 32 SP3), it finishes (2.5G!) and suggests
> to add the binaries directory to PATH etc. (MANPATH, INFOPATH..).
>
> The last steps of installation regard the generation of format file
> for all users (-rw-r--r-- root root), but with recent snapshots the
> format file are creted only for root (-rwx-----+) (**) : these
> permissions resemble those created when one installs native Windows
> applications ('c:\Program files' is full of similar files).

Thanks, I'll give it a test.  However, that's very strange.  Keep
in mind that the perl script will at one point just call open(2),
like every other application.  If you see that behaviour as part of
a perl script, you should also see that which every other tool,
even simple stuff like `echo foo > bar'.  Did you check that this
doesn't happen in other, easier to reproduce circumstances as well?
Installing thousands of files just to see a failing open looks a bit
like overkill...

Corinna

Red Hat