Re: Problems with Cygwin-1.7.8 (or snapshot) and TeXLive 2010

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
Since fmtutil-sys is apparently the core of the problem, and given
my total lack of knowledge about the Tex/Latex system, is there any
simple call to fmtutil-sys with which I can reproduce the problem
without having to install texlive?

It seems too difficult for me. fmtutil-sys is a bash script which calls another bash script, fmtutil, which in turn calls a bunch of binaries (as results from intall-tl.log) in the form like this:

aleph -ini -jobname=aleph -progname=aleph *aleph.ini
aleph -ini -jobname=lamed -progname=lamed *lambda.ini
pdftex -ini -jobname=amstex -progname=amstex -translate-file=cp227.tcx *amstex.ini
[...]

It seems that the binaries aleph, pdftex... are passed via a fmtutil.cnf configuration file.

Anyway, with a binary testing (only .dll.bz2 of snapshots), I have verified that the last snapshot with which the .fmt files get the right permissions (-rw-r--r--) is 20100904 snapshot, instead with 20100910 they acquires wrong permissions (rwx------). In short, after >= 20100910 snapshot, fmtutil script creates /tmp/fmtutil.NUMBER with drwx-----+ permissions: fmtutil.NUMBER is a working directory for fmtutil.

This is the best I could do!

For the moment I will adopt this manual fix :(

find /usr/local/texlive/ \! -type d \! -type l -perm u=rwx | xargs chmod -x,go+r

Ciao, Angelo.