can't untar archive on Windows 7- mask / file permissions?

I used wget to download an archive and when trying to untar it with
tar xzvf I got a bunch of error messages. Here's the last two:

tar: mechanize-0.2.4: Cannot change ownership to uid 1000, gid 1000:
Invalid argument
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Additionally, running cygcheck caused the following error messages:

/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'DcomLaunch': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'pla': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'QWAVE': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'RpcEptMapper': Win32 error
5
Access is denied.
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'RpcSs': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.

I installed Cygwin on a partition belonging to Windows XP. I was able
to run a Python script without problems.