Re: Unset TMP/TEMP in profile? (was Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-67)

On 9 March 2011 10:33, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar Â9 09:46, Andy Koppe wrote:

>> > That's certainly feasible in some way, but I don't understand what
>> > you're trying to accomplish. ÂIn what situation would this have to be
>> > changed on a per-system level? ÂWhy isn't it sufficient that the
>> > user can change it in the own user profiles?
>>
>> I don't know, but the same questions could be asked about
>> /etc/profile.d/lang.{c,}sh.
>
> Good point. ÂHow important is the place of $TMP/$TEMP from a
> Windows perspective? ÂIt must be set for some apps, ok, but
> how important are the actual whereabouts?

Compatibility moves in mysterious ways. ;)

One possible source of trouble I can think of is that the default temp
directory is user-specfic, whereas /tmp is shared, which introduces
scope for conflicts.

Someone might also want to leave TMP/TEMP set to the Windows default
for testing purposes, for example because the default path is likely
to be quite long and contain funny characters, whereas C:\cygwin\tmp
is nice and easy.

(But setting them to /tmp still seems a reasonable compromise to me.)

Andy