Re: ld: fatal error - cmalloc would have returned NULL

On Mar 11 14:53, Rainer Emrich wrote:
> > On Mar  11 12:57, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Mar 11 12:57, Rainer Emrich wrote:
> >> So, the solution for me was to increase the cygheap size. The maximum seems to
> >> be 1792 MBytes. This solves the issue for boostrapping gcc with libjava enabled,
> >> but may fail for even larger libraries.
> >
> > I don't think you mean to change the size of the cygheap to 1792 Megs,
> > do you?  This sounds impossible to me.  Keep in mind that you only have
> > 2 Gigs total memory available per application.
> >
> > The cygheap size is usually 1 MByte, + the number of pages to align the
> > end of the cygheap section to the next 64K boundary.  In a case like
> > this you can increase the cygheap to, say, 2 Megs + alignment, but that
> > should be enough for all cases which fit into memory at all.
> I have to be more clear. I increased the heap_chunk_in_mb to 1792 using:
> regtool -i set /HKLM/Software/Cygwin/heap_chunk_in_mb 1792

But that's the size of the application heap, not the size of the
cygheap.  The cygheap is used by a couple of internal datastructures
of the cygwin DLL itself, while the application heap is used for malloc.

So you raised the size of the application heap, probably not to 1792
Megs, but the next lower allocation possible (cygwin decrements the size
in 1MB steps until the allocation succeeds.

That's weird.  malloc uses mmap, but only for allocations beyond 128K.
Since ld only allocates 64K chunks, it doesn't look like mmap is called
from malloc.  OTOH, if raising the heap size helps, how do the
zillions of mmap calls into this picture?!?

> > Otherwise, ld should use temporary files to store intermediate data.
> >
> On Linux or *nix this not a problem at all. But to be honest, I have only few
> knowledge about ld.

Linux and *nix have an intelligent memory management.

Corinna

Red Hat