Re: How to read thumb drive volume label

On 3/14/2011 4:55 PM, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
carolus sent the following at Monday, March 14, 2011 1:05 PM
I didn't realize that the output of dir depended on whether it was
invoked from cygwin or from cmd, and I didn't know about label.exe.

dir does not differ depending on from where it is invoked.

I didn't realize cygwin had its own "dir" until seeing that the DOS "dir" reported the volume label.

As for label.exe, to know about it, one has be old enough to have run
MS-DOS.

I'm old enough to have stacked the compiler deck, the program deck, and the data deck to dump it all in the card reader. But I never paid attention to volume labels before setting out to install linux to a thumb drive and wanting to make doubly sure I was not overwriting my system disk.

(Personally, I think that running DESQview386 under DOS 3.3 was better
than any version of Windows, just as some people on this list wax
nostalgic for B20 and version 1.5.)  :-)

I never thought much of DESQview or of Windows either. At that time I used to telnet from DOS 3.3 to a Unix box, and was happier in Unix. It took less than a day to switch to Cygwin, with hardly any difference from the real Unix. Before that I was using the MKS Toolkit on my DOS or Windows desktop, which was nice software, but not as complete an emulation as Cygwin.