Re: Problems with terminal doesn't display visual elements properly

On 20 March 2011 09:18, Diego Queiroz wrote:
> On 18 March 2011 06:12, Andy Koppe wrote:
>>
>> On 17 March 2011 22:09, Diego Queiroz wrote:
>> > Hello.
>> >
>> > I need some help.
>> > My terminal started with a very strange behavior today.
>> > Many programs are not displaying correctly and I don't know why.
>> >
>> > I uploaded this picture: http://img851.imageshack.us/i/screenshotfc.png/
>> > The two windows at the top are displaying the "nano" and "top"
>> > programs using putty.
>> > The two windows at the bottom are displaying the same programs using
>> > cygwin, respectively.
>> >
>> > As you can see, the visual of the applications is different, and that's not all.
>> > I'm really not able to work with these applications because of this
>> > problem. Actually, any visual enhancement is not working properly.
>> > Even grep with --color option isn't working correctly.
>> >
>> > In the image, both programs are connected to the same server thru ssh,
>> > so IMO the problem is not related with server configuration or any
>> > tool specific setting.
>> > The problem also occurs when using cygwin in the local machine.
>> >
>> > I'm almost sure the problem is related with the dos emulator, but I
>> > don't have an idea whats wrong.
>> > The problem started when I did the last cygwin update (but I also
>> > updated many programs in the machine together, so I don't know if
>> > cygwin caused this).
>>
>> What's the server? Are you connecting with cygwin ssh (i.e.
>> /usr/bin/ssh)? What's the TERM setting on the server? It should be
>> 'cygwin'. or, if the server doesn't know that, 'vt100' should do.
>>
>> You might also want to try mintty (where TERM should be 'xterm').
>>
>> Andy
>
> Hello Andy.
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> But it doesn't really matter.
>
> Quote:
> "IMO the problem is not related with server configuration or any tool
> specific setting. The problem also occurs when using cygwin in the
> local machine."
>
> I mean, the same problem also occurs when I am connected with no
> server at all (just the local installation of cygwin).

Right. So have you checked the TERM setting? Here's my wild guess:
you've got MS's "Subsystem for Unix Applications" (aka "Services for
Unix", aka "Interix") installed, and that's set TERM to "dumb" in the
system-wide settings.

Andy