Re: needed feature in Cygwin fifos

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 02:31:19PM -0400, bob 295 wrote:
>>On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 01:34:16PM -0400, bob 295 wrote:
>>>I recognize that Cygwin fifos are "buggy and not suitable for anything but
>>>simplest of applications",  however in the spirit of seeing if things can be
>>>improved here is some more test code which illustrates one of the "bugs".
>
>>Maybe I need to be clearer: I don't need demonstrations of bugs.  I know
>>what doesn't work.
>
>>The fifo layer needs a total rewrite right now.  Sending this type of email
>>is a waste of your time.
>
>>cgf
>
>Fair enough.   Is that total rewrite underway?  If so any idea when we'll see
>a workable version?  If not what would it take to expedite things?  More
>developer resources?  What type of skillset would you need?

I'm not currently actively working on it.  I've just been contemplating
various methods for dealing with the issues.  The bottom line is that I
thought that Windows Named pipes would be the perfect way to implement
Cygwin's fifos and it turns out they are actually not well suited for
that task.

This is a free software project so you can see for yourself what's
needed.  The majority of the code is in fhandler_fifo.cc.

cgf