Re: Enable logging remote ssh contacts

Renà Berber-2 wrote:

> On 4/27/2011 1:49 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>
>> I don't have any ll in the shell. Not recognized.
>
> Oops!  My mistake, ll is an bash alias I defined, its just "ls -alhF
> --color=tty" (actually is an alias that uses the alias ls is defined to,
> but I included what both aliases do for simplicity).
>
>> So I can't see the
>> I have syslog-ng running. Should I replace that by autossh?
>
> No, autossh is something else, I just kept it to show you how a Windows
> service looks, like the sshd.log you have.
>
>> Strange enough the file /var/log/messages could not be opened by Windows.
>> Tried with Textpad and Notepad. In both occasions it said: "access
>> denied".
>> So I installed cron and now copy /var/log/messages to a different
>> location
>> every 10 minutes. I can now read that file from Windows. However, copying
>> that file creates an entry in the /var/log/messages file.
>> So better quit syslog-ng and cron and use autossh instead?
>
> No, just run the following to see if everything is running as expected:
>
> cygrunsrv -LV
>
> Note the "Account" for both sshd and syslog-ng.  That usually is what
> gives problems.
>
> If both where installed using the Cygwin provided scripts, perhaps with
> some help as provided in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/<package>.README, then
> everything would work fine.  My guess is that there is a difference,
> which creates the problem, and it will show in the output of cygrunsrv.
>  If you send it to the list, we probably can spot the problem.
> --
> Renà Berber

Hi RenÃ,

Thanks.
Basically, everything works fine except that it is impossible to open
/var/log/messages in Windows. But, as I already answerd to Cyrille, that is
perhaps a matter if using chmod to that file?

Running cygrunsrv -LV generates:

Service             : cron
Display name        : Cron daemon
Current State       : Running
Controls Accepted   : Stop
Command             : /usr/sbin/cron -n
stdin path          : /dev/null
stdout path         : /var/log/cron.log
stderr path         : /var/log/cron.log
Environment         : CYGWIN="ntsec"
Process Type        : Own Process
Startup             : Automatic
Account             : .\Fokke Nauta

Service             : sshd
Display name        : CYGWIN sshd
Current State       : Running
Controls Accepted   : Stop
Command             : /usr/sbin/sshd -D
stdin path          : /dev/null
stdout path         : /var/log/sshd.log
stderr path         : /var/log/sshd.log
Environment         : CYGWIN="ntsec tty"
Process Type        : Own Process
Startup             : Automatic
Dependencies        : tcpip
Account             : LocalSystem

Service             : syslog-ng
Display name        : CYGWIN syslog-ng
Current State       : Running
Controls Accepted   : Stop
Command             : /usr/sbin/syslog-ng -F
stdin path          : /dev/null
stdout path         : /var/log/syslog-ng.log
stderr path         : /var/log/syslog-ng.log
Process Type        : Own Process
Startup             : Automatic
Account             : LocalSystem

With regards,