Any way to prevent programs like Vim from clearing scrollback buffers?

When running Cygwin in the default cmd.exe window or similar terminal
emulators such as  https://sourceforge.net/projects/console/ Console  I've
noticed that after quitting programs that replace the entire screen (such as
Vim and man), only the bash history on the current window height is shown.
That is, once you scroll up past the current screen nothing is displayed.
This also happens irrespective of whatever the screen buffer size is set to.

I'm sure this has been brought up before but I couldn't find much
(conclusive) discussion on it, and right now I just want to know whether its
possible to preserve more history, _without_ switching to an emulator other
than Console.