ssh issues

Hopefully this is a FAQ in some place that I've missed...

I have an XP machine set up for doing builds via ssh.  This works fine
with one problem: when ssh is started normally as a service, there's
some obscure Visual Studio problem (it complains about some
misconfiguration).  To solve it, I always kill sshd and start it from
a bash shell on the machine.  It's tedious but not too much since the
machine is rarely rebooted.  (I also have a monitor for this: it uses
ssh to log to the machine and then looks for sshd in the ps output.)

But now I'm trying to set up a Windows 7 build machine, and things get
more complicated in a way that I think is related to the above.  The
first thing that fails (after I start sshd as myself, similarly to the
XP box) is running the vcvarsall.bat in the devstudio directory --
that fails with a "Cannot determine the location of the VS Common
Tools folder", which I tracked down to uses of some `reg' command that
fail.  The thing is that it works fine when running on a bash shell on
the machine, but fails through ssh.

Any pointers?