Re: GNU screen on Cygwin: Cannot seem to reattach, no matter what I try

> 1. Output of 'cygcheck -svr' appended to the end of this message.

Thanks, looks okay.

> 2. I have the problem whether I run GNU screen from a cmd.exe prompt or
> under rxvt.  I tried Peter Li's suggestion of trying to run screen under
> mintty -- still no joy.  It does not matter if I running GNU screen from
> the console or if I'm logged in remotely, or if I try to detach and
> re-attach from the same tty or different ones.  All efforts yield the
> same result: GNU screen cannot find anything to which to re-attach, even
> a session that I detached on the same tty just seconds before.
>
> 3. chmod 666 on the socket file did not work (its permissions were
> already 644, owned my 'morse', as shown in my original session long).

No, I suggested that you try 0600, on the theory that your 0640 permissions
might be too permissive, and screen would refuse to use the socket.
Unlikely, but worth a try.

However, if your socket is on a FAT file system, I don't know if you can
set 0600 permissions.

> HOWEVER, I am wondering: my Cygin /tmp *IS* on a FAT32 filesystem, *NOT*
> an NTFS filesystem.  Would that matter?  Are socket files properly
> handled by Cygwin on FAT32?  (I've never used a socket-based Cygwin
> program on this host before, at least not to my knowledge.)

Hm, that could explain it.  I don't recall this coming up before.

Looking at screen(1), it says that sockets can go in "any mode 0700
directory", and that you can set that in $SCREENDIR.  So, I suggest trying
the following in order:

(1) Run

chmod 0700 /tmp/uscreens/S-morse
chmod 0600 /tmp/uscreens/S-morse/*

then try to reattach.

(2) If you can't set the above permissions because /tmp is on a FAT file
system, then find an NTFS directory and run

export SCREENDIR=/path/to/ntfs/directory

then start a new screen session, and see if you can reattach to it.