Re: Multi-term in Emacs under Cygwin doesn't correctly identify terminal type?

On 6/2/2011 11:47 PM, Duncan Bayne wrote:
Hi All,

I've installed Cygwin on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. After a rebaseall,
Cygwin works nicely. However, I use multi-term in my default Emacs
setup, and multi-term doesn't seem to like Cygwin at all.

It looks as though multi-term isn't correctly identifying the terminal
type. It's writing what I think are control characters visibly in the
buffer, and simple things like clear and linefeeds don't work.

Here's what it looks like at startup:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/RJYDy.jpg

Could someone please suggest a way of getting this working? I'm very
used to having multiple terminals available in Emacs on Linux,&  would
hate to lose this functionality under Cygwin.

I don't know anything about multi-term, but the display of control characters in the buffer might be caused by your PS1 setting. See item 3 under "Usage notes" in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/emacs.README .

If you write again about this, please follow the problem-reporting guidelines at

http://cygwin.com/problems.html .

Also, please give a precise recipe for reproducing the problem, preferably starting with `emacs -Q'. And say how you are starting emacs (under X? in mintty?).

Ken