Re: cygcheck's understanding of TZ

On 2011-06-09 23:06, Christopher Faylor wrote:

We're not changing anything. Having the date there is useful.

I (OP) need to use TZ=Europe/Monaco (or similar, or with an absolute name) to make my applications work, including date(1).

Currently the `Current System Time' line is:
- incorrect at least in my (legitimate) use of TZ,
- not fully adequate for reference purposes since
  it does not specify the time zone.

It therefore deserves improvement.

But since it seems difficult to make it correct due
to specific constraints (windows program), feel free
not to modify it. Users like me will have to
'export TZ=UTC' before 'cygcheck -s'. Not difficult.

Or change cygcheck's specification for the better: use
UTC date instead, since printing UTC date does not
depend/rely on TZ:
Current System Time (UTC): Thu Jun 09 07:07:14 2011

Again: you shouldn't use "cygcheck -s" as a method to find the system
date.
Sorry, next time i'll use 'alias foobar' instead of 'alias cygdate'.

Regards,

Denis Excoffier.