Re: Divergent file system contents, Cygwin versus Windows 7

On 6/26/11 11:37 AM, Andy wrote:
> I achieved the desired effect of modifying the nonvirtualized _vimrc by clicking
> on Compatibility Files to go to the virtualization directory and moving it from
> there to the location ov the nonvirtualized _vimrc (thus overwriting it).

I usually run with UAC virtualization turned off, and I've experienced
no ill effects. You can turn off the virtualization settings by
disabling the "Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local
Policies->Security Options->UAC: Virtualize file and registry write
failures to per-user locations" option. See
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd851895.aspx

That said, it's absolutely crazy that you're trying to write to a vimrc
in program files! Do you edit random files in /usr to change settings
under other Unixish systems? The real problem here is vim's, and it's
better to not let UAC mask such problems.