Re: untarring symlinks with ../ fails randomly

Dear all,

just joining after being hit by an obviously known issue:

Running tar (in my case to extract openssl-0.9.8r.tar.gz) results in
symbolic links being randomly substituted by zero length mode 0 files as
described in http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2011-04/msg00299.html.

For me this happens on both Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008.

The interesting (new?) tidbit:

In sheer desparation I downgraded from cygwin1.dll/1.7.9.1 to
cygwin1.ddl/1.7.8.1 via setup.exe and the issue seems to be gone.

As this is the only change I made: Is it possible that the problem is
not an issue with tar (as discussed on the mailing list) but in fact a
regression in cygwin1.dll?

Regards,
Wolf