Re: cygwin permissions problem on a network drive

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> If I now try to use cygwin to create anything then it fails (despite
>> it reporting that I have rwx permissions for the directory):
>
> For now, set the mount point for this drive to "noacl".  If you're
> accessing the share via /cygdrive, create a distinct mount point for it.

I'm not sure that I'm doing this the right way.

I created an entry in /etc/fstab and then I got:
$ mount
C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
H: on /h type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user)
C: on /c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

Unfortunately, this didn't fix my problem.

So then for some reason I don't remember, I commented out the
following line from /etc/fstab:
none / cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0

This resulted in my being able to create directories and files on the
network drive.  It came at a cost however because C: was now mounted
on /cydrive/c, so I added and explicit entry for the C: drive in
/etc/fstab and this appears to have fixed the problem:
$ mount
C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
C: on /c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user)
H: on /h type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user)

This has the minor problem that it allows me to get into a mess by umounting /c