Re: bzr completely broken?

On Aug  2 15:25, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > > [...]
> >
> > chmod u+w /usr/bin/cygcrypt-0.dll
> >
> > ?
>
> Uh... yes.
>
> Thanks.  It works now.  Although I had to get more aggressive and run
>
>   find /usr -iname \*.dll -o -iname \*.so | xargs chmod u+w
>
> After that, rebaseall completed successfully, and bzr now works again.
>
> Who maintains the rebase package?  I wonder if it should automatically try to chmod u+w all of the
> files it wants to operate on-- maybe just temporarily.

Jason is the maintainer, with a bit of Chuck's and my help.

I don't think that chmod +w is a good idea in general.  I don't like
to see tools fiddeling with permissions without asking.

We're working on a new release of rebase anyway.  This new release
checks for writability and prints just a warning without stopping
dead in its track:

  /usr/bin/foo.dll: skipped because not writable

That should be ok, shouldn't it?  Otherwise, what we can do is to open
the file with FILE_FLAG_BACKUP_SEMANTICS.  This would allow you to
rebase DLLs without write permissions if you have admin privileges.

Corinna

Red Hat