Re: SSHD Issue Windows 2003 64 bit

On 8/23/2011 2:54 PM, Gary wrote:
On 8/22/2011 1:12 PM, Gary wrote:

Doing a 'set -x' in my terminal window only outputted: '+ssh-host-config' with no other information.

Here is the actual "path" value inside the 'path' variable in my case:
C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Support
Tools\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource

Kits\Tools\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM;c:\Program
Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin;C:\usr\bin

Attached is the cygcheck.out ran by "cygcheck -s -v -r>
cygcheck.out".  There is a warning stating that there are multiple
cygwin1.dll files in my path, I check and there are only one after
grepping it out:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 Administrator Administrators 2666500 Mar 29 08:11 cygwin1.dll

Thanks for your help!

There's a few things here that you should clean-up:

* Your path points to a non-Cygwin perl.  Please either remove that
  installation or remove the install directory from your path.
* You have installed Cygwin multiple times on this machine.  Can
  you create a new installation where you only install Cygwin once?
* OpenSSH is one of these installations.  You are virtually guaranteed
  of a non-working 'sshd' if you install this 3rd party app.  If
  you want to use Cygwin's 'sshd', don't install OpenSSH.  If you
  prefer to use OpenSSH, install it and not Cygwin's 'openssh' package.
  Better yet, don't install Cygwin at all in this case.
Isn't openssh necessary to run 'ssh-host-config'?  I've re-installed a
fresh instance of cygwin without openssh (only cygrunsrv).  Attached
is the output from cygcheck.

You had installed <http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/> in the previous virtual machine. This is incompatible with Cygwin's installation. That's why I recommended choosing it or Cygwin and its package. So if you're content to use Cygwin's package, you can install openssh via setup.exe now.

I hadn't noticed that you are using Xen as the basis for your
virtualization.  Be aware that Xen has had problems in the past supporting
Cygwin.  I don't know if those issues have been resolved in Xen or not.
But if you continue to experience trouble under Xen, you may want to try
a different product like VirtualBox, VMWare, etc.  That may help you.

--
Larry