Re: Cygwin package naming?

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 8/31/2011 9:43 PM, Luke Kendall wrote:
Can someone with some official Cygwin standing tell me how the Cygwin
package names correspond with the "official" names of the packages, chosen
by the package owners? In other words, how are the Cygwin package names
determined? (My hope is that the "official" name is used, possibly with
"cygwin" added to it in some form.)

Sorry, I have no badge and gun but perhaps I will do.

I'm asking because I'm finding Cygwin packages that contain no license
information, at least in the compiled form (e.g. gawk, libiconv2). So I'm
thinking that in such cases, I can modify my Cygwin license-finding script
to look up the package by name on freshmeat and try to find the license from
there.

But that is pointless if the Cygwin package name may have the same name as a
freshmeat package, but is in fact some other software.

How about <http://cygwin.com/setup.html>?

Thanks! Yes, I think that should be enough (it certainly looks like a public statement of Cygwin's package naming policy, so that's good enough for me):

"Package file naming

Package naming scheme: use the vendor's version plus a release suffix for ports of existing packages"

Aside: I had to muster all my strength to keep from using the phrase "Use
the source Luke!"  I expect you never tire of that. ;-)

Ah, yes, very true. Not to mention when I eat with my fingers ("Use the forks, Luke!").

Thanks, Larry!

luke