Re: How do I run a program compiled in cygwin from a program that is running in a Windows CMD shell?

LMH <lmh_users-groups <at> molconn.com> writes:

> I am a bit confused as to the role of perl here.
Hi LMH

Thanks

I have an installation of Apache's httpd server; directly from the Apache
website, not the one available through cygwin (in fact, there'd be no point
since that apache install is on a different machine).  And I run a number of
cgi programs written in perl.  That is one role for perl in this setup.

The other for perl is for my I have a stripped down, basic HTTP Server written
in perl.  I know, I can probably develop the same thing using boost's asio
library, but in this case, perl and the http server package are so simple to
use, I opted for it.  But I developed it using Activestate's Perl
distribution.  In fact, though I know perl is installed in in my cygwin
environment, I never bothered with it because Activestate's perl package
manager has made it so simple to install the hundreds of perl packages that I
use.  I shudder at the thought of trying to install the same suite of packages
using cpan from the bash commandline.

> I have compiled under
> cygwin g++ for a long time now and don't run into problems. Are you
> using the -mno-cygwin flag in your compile rules? I have two processes,
> where one is a child of the the processed that gets launched, but both
> are in c. Maybe it is better to address your issue in the c part of the
> application, possibly create a little c launcher app that will create
> the behavior you need.

What, exactly, does '-mno-cygwin' do?

BTW: With gcc v 4.5.3, using 'G++ -mno-cygwin' followed by the other
commandline arguements needed to compile something results in an error where
it complains '-mno-cygwin' is no longer valid (I forget the exact wording, but
that is the gist of the error message I got).

I tried something like:

g++ -mno-cygwin -o qlt.exe -I/usr/local/include qlt.cpp -quantlib -
L/usr/local/lib

But that resulted in the error I describe just above.  I probably did
something wrong with this if tht flag is still available in gcc v 4.5.3, but
then the only place I found anything related to that flag with in a couple
posts in newsgroups where the OP was dealing with similar issues, but I
haven't fund the documentation for it.

I have a number of C++ programs that use QuantLib (a C++ quantitative finance
library).

> Whether you run your c widget from win cmd, bash, call if from perl
> python, etc, shouldn't really make any difference.

That, actually, is what I am trying to learn.  I now know that etc/profile is
the file that changes the path to include cygwin/bin, but I couldn't figure
out how to use bash to launch my program so that is knows about that change
(i.e. so the child program sees an environment that it would see if executed
within a bash session I'd launched.  But if the program can be compiled so
that it doesn't need that modified environment, so much the better.

Thanks again,

Ted