Re: How do I run a program compiled in cygwin from a program that is running in a Windows CMD shell?

Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On 9/15/2011 1:28 PM, Ted Byers wrote:
> > LMH<lmh_users-groups<at>  molconn.com>  writes:
>
> <snip>
>
> > What, exactly, does '-mno-cygwin' do?
> >
> > BTW: With gcc v 4.5.3, using 'G++ -mno-cygwin' followed by the other
> > commandline arguements needed to compile something results in an error
where
> > it complains '-mno-cygwin' is no longer valid (I forget the exact wording,
but
> > that is the gist of the error message I got).
>
> Right. '-mno-cygwin' is not a supported flag for gcc with version 4.  It was
> there to allow a kind of cross compiler that targets Win32 instead of
> Cygwin.  This is obviously not what you want anyway so it's of no
> consequence to you that the flag has been removed.   There are now
> actual cross compilers available in Cygwin for gcc 4 that serve the purpose
> of the old '-mno-cygwin' flag.

Hi Larry,

Thanks

I installed only the gcc4 compilers (all of them, v4.5.3), but I didn't even
look for cross compilers.

What is the name of the cross compilers (would they be those that
include 'mingw' in the name?  Not having installed, them, perhaps this is a
naive question, but will they live alongside the gcc4 compilers without the
names of the compilers clashing?  I recalled something about mingw, but
thought that was a completely different approach to having gcc on Windows, and
in the versions included with RTools, the names of the programs there would
definitely collide with those for gcc4

Thanks again

Ted