Re: cygwin started speaking German today

Ken Brown schreef, Op 5-10-2011 20:23:

I think you're mixing two questions that should be kept separate. The first is how /etc/profile.d/lang.{sh,csh} should set LANG. That's a question that the Cygwin developers and/or base-files maintainer need to decide. The second is whether libintl should override Cygwin's locale settings. Isn't the answer clearly no? Why can't this be fixed (in opposition to Bruno, if necessary) before a final decision is made about /etc/profile.d/lang.{sh,csh}?

I don't recall any complaints from Cygwin users about C.UTF-8 being the default, but there have already been several complaints about the new behavior of libintl.

Indeed, these are two separate issues.

My preference is that Cygwin follows by default regional the setting of Windows w.r.t. language. So on my Dutch Windows I prefer nl_NL.UTF-8 over C.UTF-8.
Second, I prefer that libintl follows Cygwin's regional settins, and not Windows'.

--
Erwin Waterlander