Re: E484: Can't open file /usr/share/vim/syntax/syntax.vim

Oleksandr Gavenko-2 pishet:
>03.10.2011 2:35, jan.kolar pishet:
>> Oleksandr Gavenko (aka gavenkoa) wrote:
>>>
>>>     $ cat ~/.vimrc
>>> syntax on
>>>
>>>     $ vim
>>> Error detected while processing /cygdrive/e/home/.vimrc:
>>> line    1:
>>> E484: Can't open file /usr/share/vim/syntax/syntax.vim
>>> Press ENTER or type command to continue
>>>
>>> This issue reported previously:
>>>
>>>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-07/msg00105.html
>>
>> I have no problem with syntax loading.
>>
>> Did you try reinstall/upgrade/downgrade vim ?
>>
>> :help syntax-loading
>>      Source $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/syntax.vim ....
>> :echo $VIMRUNTIME
>>      /usr/share/vim/vim73
>>
>> :help VIMRUNTIME
>> or see  http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/starting.html#$VIMRUNTIME
>> http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/starting.html#$VIMRUNTIME
>> for what VIMRUNTIME is, how it defaults and how it can be set.
>> (:let $VIMRUNTIME = "/home/piet/vim/vim54"  -- or what about :letglobal
>> here
>> ?)
>>
>That because you use another Vim. I run vim from 'vim' package:
?
(I do not know where from I got '/home/piet/', my appology.)

>   $ cygcheck -c vim
>   Cygwin Package Information
>Package              Version        Status
>vim                  7.3.254-1      OK

This is an important information to start with.
Where did you get that from? From cygwin ports ?

(I can not find that version among official 'STABLE', but it is listed here
http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin-ports-general@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00943.html
)

>   $ which vim
>/usr/bin/vim
>
>   $ cygcheck -l vim
>/etc/postinstall/vim.sh
>/etc/preremove/vim.sh
>/usr/bin/ex
>/usr/bin/vi
>/usr/bin/vim-nox.exe
>/usr/bin/vimtutor

This is very short. I have:
$ cygcheck -c vim
vim                  7.3.003-1      OK
$ cygcheck -l vim  | wc
   1586    1586   64915

The cygwin port version of vim depends on vim-common package.
I suppose the Installer suggested to install that.

>   $ cat /etc/postinstall/vim.sh.done
>/usr/sbin/update-alternatives \
>	--install /usr/bin/vim vim /usr/bin/vim-nox.exe 10 \
>
>I try all your suggested command and they all fail.
(I think you did not try to reinstall/upgrade/downgrade vim.)

>Also I note that there are no any Cygwin specific vim.README
>under /usr/share/doc/Cygwin nor under /usr/share/vim,
>/usr/share/doc/vim  which is unusual situation for Cygwin package...
>
>Search under:
>
>   http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=vim
>
>list only:
>
>   gvim/gvim-7.2.245-1

The output is truncated, and the page says that.

>which also does not contain $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/syntax.vim
>
>Is it possible to get full featured Vim under Cygwin?

Yes. I use it and I am very happy with it.
(Up to the point that I had problems with fork() when vimdiff was started.
 If you experience that, search for 'rebaseall', that will help I think.)

>Or separate installation required?
No

I hope installing vim-common helps.
JK.