RE: Mapping "underline" to "colour" - how is the colour determined?

Ronald Fischer sent the following at Friday, October 14, 2011 9:18 AM
>When I (to give an example) execute a "man" command within a mintty
>window, and do the same within a "normal" Windows console window, I see
>that those words represented as underlined words in the mintty window,
>are represented by a different colour in the Windows console windows.
>
>I guess this different has nothing to do with the "man" command, but
>by the way the terminal definition says how render "emphasized" words.
>Since the Windows console (likely) can't underline, colouring is used.
>It's kind of a "terminal property". Do I understand this correctly?
>
>I would like to understand, where this mapping to a certain colour is
>done. Reason is that the colour used for my Windows console window, is
>a bit hard to read and I would like to change it.

I don't know, but ...

Looking at the output of man, it seems that man formats with backspace
("<^H>"), e.g., bold X is X<^H>X and underlined Y is _<^H>Y.

Looking at /etc/defaults/etc/man.conf suggests to me that TROFF or
NROFF might be involved.  Reading the manual page for man.conf is even
more suggestive.

$ man -S 5 man.conf

Assuming that the above is useful, where one goes from there is left as
an exercise for someone else.

Good Luck,

- Barry