Re: How does setup.exe cope with upgrading of already installed packages if there exist modification in installed files?

On 10/19/2011 09:13, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> How about templates?
>>
>> For example if package like Mercurial provide
>> WEB templates which I like to customize (fix time format to ISO-8601).
>> Templates lies in /lib/python2.6/site-packages/mercurial/templates/*.
>
> It seems that that's something you'll have to work out with the Mercurial
> package maintainer.  A postinstall script can certainly check to see if
> templates have changed, and if they have either leave them in place, or
> even merge in new changes, if you can work out a good way to do that
> without prompting the user.

According to this page, you can change where hgweb looks for templates
by editing either /etc/mercurial/hgrc or the .hgrc file in the home
directory of the user running hgweb:

http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Theming

Rather than making a complex postinstall script than can manage
overrides sanely, it would be better to copy the packaged template files
into a new location outside of the paths managed by the packages and
then configure hgweb to look for them in the new location.  You'll then
be free to make any changes you like then without fear that they will be
inadvertently clobbered.

-Jeremy