Re: cygwin permissions problem on a network drive

On Oct 21 12:15, Lemke, Michael  SZ/HZA-ZSW wrote:
> On Friday, October 21, 2011 10:50 AM
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> So from the reply below I take it hasn't been fixed/worked
> around in a snapshot.  But my experiments show something has

Wrong.  It has been fixed in the snapshot.  1.7.9 tries to open the file
with WRITE_DAC access which fails on some shares.  The snapshots won't
do that anymore.

> >I explained what the problem is already.  The buzzword is WRITE_DAC.
> >Apparently you don't have permissions to change file permissions
> >on that share.  Cacls should show the exact layout of the file and
> >directory DACLs.  Does `chmod' work for you?  It shouldn't either.
>
> In my case that it true, chmod fails.

Good!  That shows that my assumption is correct.

> >You could talk to your admin first to find out if that is by design and
> >maybe there could be something changed to allow changing permissions.
>
> This is by design here.  IT wants it that way.

Then "noacl' is the only way for you.

> >Otherwise, just mount the share with the noacl flag.
> >
> >Again, I don't know why this happens.  I can not reproduce this problem
> >on my NTFS shares, other than by removing the WRITE_DAC permission from
> >the affected files and directories.  If there's any way to fix or
> >workaround it in Cygwin, somebody who has that problem has to hunt it
> >down.
> >

> I am willing to try to hunt it down.  What do you want me to check?

Check with your admin and ask how they make sure that you can't set
permissions.  Did they just create a certain set of inheritable
permissions or do they use some policy?  That is what I'd like to know.
The answer, however, will only help me to understand, it will not help
you to avoid the "noacl" setting.

Corinna

Red Hat