Re: Contributing license information?

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:59:01AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct 21 13:02, Luke Kendall wrote:
> > Can I ask a related question: for the few shell scripts and /etc
> > files provided in base-files: what license are they under?  The
> > package contains lots of licenses, as we've been discussing, but I
> > couldn't find any indication of which license applies to the actual
> > non-license files in base-files itself!
>
> Isn't that hard on the verge of nit-picking?  These are simple scripts.
> Their Linux brothers and sisters are under PD so I think it makes much
> sense to define the Cygwin files as PD, too.
>
> David, that's ok with you?

Yes, it's ok for me :)

Also, it's possible to specifically mention it in the header of every
shellscript in base-files, maybe using CC0[1][2]?

CC0 would then be included under /usr/share/doc/common-licenses.

Please note IANAL, i.e., I'm not aware of possible uncompatibilities
of CC0 with the rest of the project's licensing.

(Generally speaking, it's an interesting topic, BTW.[3])

[1]https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#CC0
[2]https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode
[3]https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Public_domain
--
Huella de clave primaria: AD8F BDC0 5A2C FD5F A179  60E7 F79B AB04 5299 EC56