Re: cygwin permissions problem on a network drive

On Oct 21 12:32, gds wrote:

> If I do chmod 000 testfile I see with ls -l:
> -r--r--r--
> If I do chmod 777 testfile I see
> -rw-r--r--
> So there is a small effect but not much.

In noacl mode or on file systems not supporting ACLs (FAT, for instance)
permissions are emulated using the DOS R/O bit to set the write flag
and file suffixes and magic numbers to emulate the execute bit.  That's
what you see above.  That's actually documented in the User's Guide:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-filemodes.html

> Sorry, in reading your previous explanations (quoted below), I am
> still not sure whether you are saying this new behavior is a feature
> or bug in cygwin, a bug in my app using cygwin (e.g., svn) something
> changed in windows setup of permissions. Just to put it here (since
> thread has become separated) here is what you said previously:

It's a bug in 1.7.9 that you can't create files in this scenario.
It's fixed in CVS.  It's not a bug in 1.7.9, nor in CVS, that an
application gets a "Permission denied" error when it tries to change
file permissions in this scenario.

Corinna

Red Hat