Re: cygwin on virtual box vm

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 01:54:03PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 11:05:54AM +0100, David Sastre wrote:
>>On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 03:08:25PM -0600, J.V. wrote:
>>> Any other command I type is freakishly slow.  How do I get this to
>>> run faster under a vm environment.
>>> Even if I $vi a file it takes a while seriously cutting into the
>>> productivity gains that cygwin on the host environment provides.
>>
>>Please follow the spteps mentioned here to submit a problem report:
>>
>>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>
>>> When I open a cygwin bash shell, and type '$ls' it just sits there forever.
>>
>>Also, I take for granted you don't type a literal '$ls', and the '$'
>>sign here represents the prompt.
>
>FWIW, I run Cygwin on VirtualBox all of the time.  It is one of my main
>testing environments.

I just ran Cygwin on virtualbox today for the first time in a while.  I
was trying to duplicate the recent problem with running make so I was
trying configure/make on different platforms.

I was REALLY surprised by how much slower virtualbox was than "raw
iron".  Of course my Windows system is also my gaming system so it is
pretty beefy but still I was seeing possibly two orders of magnitude
slowdown on the VM.  So, I withdraw my comment above.  Either I never
really noticed the slowdown or something has gotten worse lately.

cgf