Re: Emacs in Cygwin: (file-exists-p "c:/")?

On 11/30/2011 4:08 PM, Tim McDaniel wrote:
I dunno whether anyone here know about Emacs, but I thought I would
ask.

In a previous setup (Windows XP, 32-bit), I believe that running the
Emacs function
(file-exists-p "c:/")
produced t.

Now, with the latest Cygwin, Windows 7, 64-bit, emacs-version
"23.3.1",
(file-exists-p "c:/")
nil
(file-exists-p "c:\\")
nil
I notice it because it broke some code, my .emacs startup file to be
precise. It was a quick and easy way to check whether it was running
under Windows.

I have a workaround,
(file-exists-p "/mnt/c")
but that only "works" because I "know" that I have changed the drive
prefix from /cygdrive to /mnt.

Can it be made to work again? Any suggestions on how to tell in Emacs
whether I'm running under Windows?

I'm not sure what you mean by "running under Windows", but I think the variable `system-type' should do whatever you need. For example, I do system-specific customization by putting the following in my .emacs file:

(cond
 ((eq system-type 'cygwin) (load "cygwin-init"))
 ((eq system-type 'windows-nt) (load "nt-init"))
 ((eq system-type 'gnu/linux) (load "linux-init")))

Ken