Re: Cygwin slow on x64 systems?

On 12/1/2011 4:58 PM, Tim McDaniel wrote:
I wrote:
$ time echo hello
hello

real 0m0.000s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.000s

$ cp /dev/null frog
$ time cat frog

real 0m1.259s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.015s

Someone replied directly to me, to say that Cygwin should not be that slow on 64-bit installations. He asked whether I have anti-virus installed, and whether I have looked at the "BLODA list".

BLODA is the Big List Of Dodgy Apps, apparently from
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda

44. What applications have been found to interfere with Cygwin?

 From time to time, people have reported strange failures and
problems in Cygwin and Cygwin packages that seem to have no
rational explanation ....

Unfortunately, "Norton/McAfee/Symantec antivirus or antispyware" is
the second item listed. This is a work machine. IT installed
Symantec Endpoint Protection on it and locked down absolutely every
setting whatsoever (except for how long to keep local logs). I really
doubt that they'd unlock anything for me, especially because I'm brand
new and we don't do very much on Windows.

Unless someone has another suggestion, maybe I just have to assume I'm
SOL.

FYI,
I am running a W7/64 with Symantec Endpoint Protection (11.0.6200.754) installed and I have no particular speed issue, but I am running a
very recent snapshot

Regards
Marco