Re: Understanding versions of apps in cygwin suite

On 12/3/2011 4:26 PM, Andrew Hancock wrote:
marco atzeri<marco.atzeri<at> gmail.com> writes:
On 12/3/2011 5:26 AM, Andrew Hancock wrote:
According to
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=30309 , a bug
with octave's wavread function was fixed in octave 3.2.3.  My
"cygcheck -cvs" shows an octave of 3.4.2, but I still get the bug.
I was wondering if it is wise to assume that the app version number
from cygcheck is the same as the version number from the gnu site?

in general the cygwin packages are aligned with upstream versions, eventually with additional patches. Octave package 3.4.2-3 is aligned with upstream 3.4.2. http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00001.html

I guess you have some problem on your octave package, and you can
also check the version with:

$ /usr/bin/octave --version
GNU Octave, version 3.4.2

and on my system:

octave:2> Y = wavread("oddchunk.wav")

is working fine as expected.  If you have problem with a different
example file, than please rise the problem on octave bug system or
send me by private mail your file, and I will check against the
development build.

If your version is not 3.4.2-3, close all cygwin programs and
re-install octave.

Thanks, Marco. I posted on another thread asking whether it was wise to update Octave without updating the cygwin DLL. Updating the cygwin DLL using Setup is actually downgrading, since I currently use a snapshot of the cygwin DLL to get around a problem with creating files/folders on a network drive (unrelated to Octave).

Andrew, cygwin setup is not aware of any snapshot you can install manually, as it compares the info from setup.ini (from website) with the info stored on its database /etc/setup/installed.db

So if you have

$ cygcheck -c cygwin
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
cygwin               1.7.9-1        OK

as 1.7.9-1 is the last released version, running setup again
to upgrade octave, will not replace your snapshot.

I am also running a snapshot as 1.7.9

$ uname -rv
1.7.10s(0.255/5/3) 20111129 17:41:48

for the reason reported on
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00001.html

Since I am unclear about the interactions between the packages and the cygwin DLL, I have been trying to avoid updates to cygwin and packages until a new release. However, I will do it if all other ways of poking and prodding a problem are exhausted. One of the poking/prodding I want to do is check octave release notes. I haven't been able to find an archive of release notes for various octave versions and subversions, but I did find the savannah bug tracking system. It doesn't help determine the incremental changes from version 3.4.2-1 (what I have) and 3.4.2-3. Finding your postings on the cygwin mailing list archive indicates that the changes are not related to wavread, but as you say, it might be my particular circumstance -- especially since the bug was apparently fixed in 3.2.3.

I'll take you up on your offer to email you the file.  It is a 23KB file that is
a truncation of drum beat track 428 available at
http://www.instructables.com/id/Drum-Beats-in-Audacity.  Thanks.

It seems a different problem of the bug you thought about, both the 3.4.2-3 and the latest development build do not recognize the file format.

octave:2> Y = wavread("428shortMono.wav")
error: wavread: file contains no RIFF chunk
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.4.2/m/audio/wavread.m at line 74, column 5
octave:2> exit

octave:2> Y = wavread("428shortMono.wav")
error: wavread: file contains no RIFF chunk
error: called from:
error: /pub/hg/octave_build/../octave/scripts/audio/wavread.m at line 77, column 7

Please note that

$ file *.wav
428shortMono.wav: RIFF (big-endian) data, WAVE audio, mono 44100 Hz
oddchunk.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, mono 1000 Hz

I am not sure that your file is compatible with octave expectation,
I suggest to rise the question on octave-help as I know nothing about
sound file format.

Regards
Marco