Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: dash-0.5.5.1-2; Obsolete: ash

Rounding out a (super-old) thread on my dash todo list...

>>> $ dash
>>> $ cd /c
>>> $ ls -d W*
>>> WINDOWS
>>> $ cd c:/WINDOWS
>>> cd: 3: can't cd to c:/WINDOWS
>>
>> Let's rule out bash vs. dash complexities, and first focus on whether
>> cygwin1.dll might be at fault.

> Works fine in Cygwin, I just tested it:
>   $ gcc -g -o chdir chdir.c
>   $ ./chdir C:/Windows
>   pwd: /cygdrive/c/Windows
>
> It's a problem in dash apparently.

I finally spent time in gdb figuring out what's going on.

The problem is that dash tries to convert c:/windows to an absolute
path, since it doesn't start with /.  I suppose I could teach dash to
recognize [letter]:/ as absolute paths, although that makes dash larger,
and puts a burden on me (since I can guarantee upstream dash won't
accept such a patch).

> I just don't care enough for DOS paths so I won't fix.

Me neither.  And since you can use /cygdrive/c, not c:/, I won't bother
to fix it.