Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] CALL FOR TESTING: Cygwin 1.7.10

On Dec  7 18:50, Bengt Larsson wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >> Is that the right thing to do? I have LANG=C.UTF-8. If I pass a
> >> Windows-style filename on the command line, it's passed as UTF-8. How do
> >> I then convert that to Unix-style, UTF-8?
> >
> >First of all, don't do that.  Use POSIX paths.
> >
> >Second, it's not passed as UTF-8 if the called application is a
> >non-Cygwin application.  In fact, Cygwin calls CreateProcessW, so all
> >strings are converted to UTF-16 (aka UNICODE) when starting a non-Cygwin
> >child process.
> >
> >Third, as for Cygwin apps, don't use WIN_A, use WIN_W instead, because
> >that's encoding agnostic:
>
> OK, thanks.

Just so it's clear why I did that, maybe you want to have a look into
the brief discussion on the cygwin-developers list:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2011-11/msg00000.html

Basically, apart from external sources, the multibyte Windows paths you
have are either returned from a Windows function, or they are supposed
to be put into a Windows function.  Since the multibyte Windows file
access functions use the ANSI or OEM codepage, it makes sense to use the
current ANSI or OEM codepage for the WIN_A conversions as well.  But in
fact I agree with Daniel's comment on the list:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2011-11/msg00002.html

Corinna

Red Hat